Apostrophes amok

June 25, 2012

Seen on our recent holiday in Kununurra, in the Kimberleys:

Rocks. Apostrophes. They're all here for the taking.

Don’t you feel sorry for the “table tops”? They look rather lonely in there.

My philosophy regarding apostrophes is a simple one: When in doubt, leave them out. I find the odd missing apostrophe far less distracting than the opposite – but perhaps that’s just me. What say you?

(In lieu of Monday Musings which will return next week.)

1. June 25, 2012 9:59 pm

For sure. I cannot abide the unnecessary apostrophe and annoy all my loved ones by pointing them all out when spotted.

Shopowner’s and many cafe’s just love to include them on their menu’s and sign’s. Drive’s me MENTAL.

• June 25, 2012 10:24 pm

LOL Kate … I think I’ve got your point and see we are on the same wavelength. Shop signs and menus are the absolute worst aren’t they? Why is such a simple concept about possession (ok we’ll forget it’s/its!) versus plurals so hard to get?

• June 26, 2012 2:59 am

Gummie: many people don’t read or write a great deal once they leave school. Seeing correct punctuation sometime acts as a sort of osmosis for people. I have met so many people over the last decade that are illiterate–not saying the business owner is, but sometimes it’s very easy for peolle who read and write a lot (like us) to not understand how it is for a large section of the population.

• June 26, 2012 3:00 am

typo: ‘people’: when I type in the screen, the ned is cut off for some reason…

• June 26, 2012 6:19 pm

You are right Guy … and they have skills I don’t have. In fact I nearly didn’t post this as I’d rather not offend the business owner but I couldn’t resist it (says she shamedly!) particularly with the inconsistency of the “table tops”.

2. June 26, 2012 2:54 am

Didn’t you have any white-out with you?

3. June 26, 2012 11:09 am

The human mind seeks out patterns to simplify the universe…but there’s always an exception to the rule.

4. June 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Haha insane use of apostrophe’s there. (Sorry WG I couldn’t resist that.)

5. June 26, 2012 7:26 pm

MY EYES THEY BURN THEY BURN.

• June 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I saw it and I had to go back to photograph it … but YOU don’t have to look you know!

6. June 27, 2012 2:28 am

‘Table tops’ does indeed look lonely in there. Why didn’t it get an apostrophe I wonder? That makes me more curious than why all the others got apostrophes!

7. July 1, 2012 7:46 am

A misplaced apostrophe is like grit in the eye.