Five years old today!

May 2, 2014

I woke up in cold-ish Toronto this morning to a congratulations message from WordPress telling me that it’s 5 years since I joined WordPress. I knew it was coming up this month but hadn’t taken note of exactly when.

I’d like to have written a more considered post about this landmark but I’m so taken up with travelling, and seeing our lovely daughter for the first time in 21 months, that my mind is “confuzzled”. That’s my new favourite word heard in the charming Indian movie 2 States that we saw yesterday.

But, I can’t let this day pass without thanking all you readers who have made writing this blog such a delight. I started it primarily as a discipline for writing up my thoughts on my reading. I figured that having a blog would make me get my ideas together. It has. But I was nervous about the public aspect and did my best to keep a low profile.

However, it’s hard to stay completely quiet when there are so many great blogs out there to read and comment on, and so many wonderful commenters on my own blog to respond to – and so it is to all of you that I say thanks today. I love reading the blogs of those of you who have them. And, of course, I love reading the comments made on my own, and enjoy the conversations we have. It does cut into my reading time but, since reading is only one aspect of a literary life, that doesn’t really matter does it? It’s the conversation that reading engenders which enhances our lives … Or so it seems to me.

A man [a person!] only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people. – Will Rogers

Thanks to all of you who have helped me learn …

1. Jim KABLE permalink
    May 2, 2014 11:58 pm

What Will would have said in a later age (our own): “One only learns ….” Aah… Confuzzled! And seeing your daughter – and five years with this blog! Though I’ve been reading only in this past half year is it – very grateful to have found it! Well done on your five years! Omedetō gozaimasu! Félicitations! Brava! Onwards and onwards!

• May 3, 2014 3:47 am

Thanks Jim … I’ve enjoyed your contributions and perspectives on my posts. Thanks for joining in.

2. May 3, 2014 12:11 am

Congrats on five year my blog turns five next month

3. vyvienn permalink
    May 3, 2014 12:13 am

Congratulations! I don’t know a whole lot of blogs that have been consistently around for five years, that’s quite a feat! Enjoy beautiful Canada

• May 3, 2014 3:50 am

We are Vyv, though the weather leaves something to be desired particularly for we Aussies. And thanks.

4. Regula Bubb permalink
    May 3, 2014 1:10 am

Congratulations!!! It is an incredible achievement to blog with such fabulous posts over a period of five years! Creative, inspiring, knowledgable – a whole potpourri of literary impressions and the essays literary works themselves! It takes a lot if discipline too and I admire your consistency.
    Please keep on blogging!! Warmest, Regula

• May 3, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks Regula … And are you going to blog again in your new place? Or, different place different way of handling?

5. May 3, 2014 4:19 am

Your daughter is so happy you are here, and delighted that you’re celebrating another blogiversary of awesomeness. Love love!

6. May 3, 2014 5:19 am

Confuzzled, I love it! Happy blogiversary! I hope there will be many more years ahead. You are a pleasant stop on my daily internet rounds 🙂

7. May 3, 2014 7:20 am

Happy anniversary! Five years!!
    You’ve made a wonderful contribution to Australian Literature over that time, helping us to discover new authors and think about Australian books and writing in new and different ways. Well done:) Lisa xo

8. ablay1 permalink
    May 3, 2014 7:30 am

Love reading your posts and your thoughtful considerations. Happy fifth anniversary!

9. May 3, 2014 9:16 am

Congratulations, Sue , and thanks… we would be confuzzled without you!

• May 3, 2014 2:50 pm

Oh, you are flattering me now John!! But thanks all the same! It’s been great sharing book talk with you.

10. May 3, 2014 9:17 am

It hasn’t been a one-way experience, you know … 🙂

11. sharkell permalink
    May 3, 2014 11:30 am

Congratulations Sue. Five years is something to celebrate. Thanks for you and ANZlitlovers I have read a lot more Australian fiction in the last few years, which I have really enjoyed.

12. May 3, 2014 12:21 pm

Congratulations. Five years of consistent, thoughtful and beautifully written blogging is a grand feat. Enjoy Toronto and the visit with your daughter. Shame about the weather, though.

13. May 3, 2014 1:21 pm

Five years! Congratulations. The longevity is well- deserved . I always find Whispering Gums an absorbing and inspiring read. Keep up the great work.

14. May 3, 2014 2:45 pm

Congratulations on your five year milestone! Keep it up.

15. May 3, 2014 3:44 pm

Well done. Five years is impressive. Always enjoy your posts.

• May 3, 2014 4:54 pm

Thanks Pam … I love how it’s introduced me to all sorts of people like, you know, Americans in Tasmania! Who would have thought?!

16. May 3, 2014 6:21 pm

What an achievement, Sue. Congratulations! Looking forward to the next five and beyond.

17. May 3, 2014 6:33 pm

Happy blog birthday! I echo the congratulations of everybody here.

• May 3, 2014 8:17 pm

Thanks Dorothy … I’ve really appreciated your contributions to discussions.

• May 4, 2014 1:26 am

I echo her echo!

• May 4, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks DKS … and I echo to you my echo to her. Hmm, does that make sense? I mean I echo to you my response to her!

18. Lithe lianas permalink
    May 3, 2014 6:53 pm

Congratulations, Sue. I’ve learned so much from you over more years than your blogging years. As Anna (of the King of Siam) sang ‘by your children you’ll be taught’ . Yes, the secret is out – Lithe Lianas is Sue’s Mum – and proud of it.

19. May 4, 2014 3:05 am

A hearty Congrats to your bloggoversary, WG, and a warm welcome to Canada! Too bad even in the same country, we’re still over a thousand miles apart. Enjoy your travels! (Any chance of coming all the way to the Western province of Alberta? 😉 )

• May 4, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Arti, and thanks. Yes, it’s a case of so near and yet so far, but unfortunately we won’t get to Alberta this trip. We did see Grand Budapest though and plan to get over the your blog in the next week or so to comment. I will get there, I promise. (Today I was hearing all about how exciting it is here when TIFF is on – and of course, I thought of you.)

• May 4, 2014 11:35 am

I plan to go again this Sept… fingers crossed. We’ll find the chance to meet another time, maybe in Australia. Who knows. 😉

20. Meg permalink
    May 4, 2014 7:54 am

Well done and congratulations. I enjoy reading your thoughtful presentations on Australian literature. Have a lovely time with your daughter and safe travelling.

• May 4, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks Meg – on all counts. I’m glad we’ve been able to continue some book conversations on this platform given withdrawal due to lack of time from those where we initially met.

21. May 4, 2014 7:41 pm

Congrats, Sue. I love reading your blog. 🙂

22. May 4, 2014 9:48 pm

Happy Blogoversary Sue! I hope to continue reading your posts for another five, at least!

• May 4, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks Shelleyrae …. I’d love to make another 5 years, though it sounds mind boggling right now doesn’t it?

23. trebleclef permalink
    May 5, 2014 4:26 pm

What a great achievement! Congratulations on your 5th blogiversary!!

24. chillcat permalink
    May 6, 2014 1:47 am

Congratulations! This is one of the few blogs I read regularly. I started following because I wanted to keep in touch with Australian literature and have read and enjoyed many of your suggestions. But it’s grown bigger than that – I really enjoy the dialogue and sharing and your very earnest love of words and stories. Keep up the inspiring work WG!

• May 6, 2014 4:13 am

Thanks Catherine … I’ve really enjoyed your comments and perspectives over the last few years – and look forward to continuing our discussion. I’m writing this as MR Gums handles the freeways to Toronto’s Pearson airport!

25. May 6, 2014 12:00 pm

Congratulations Sue on your five year bloggiversary. You have made a tremendous contribution to the presence of Australian literature in the blogosphere. Even though our reading paths have diverged somewhat recently it’s always fascinating to see what you’re reading, and reading your thoughts, and the discussions that follow. Safe travelling homewards, I’m sure you’ve had a wonderful, if chilly time in Toronto.

• May 7, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Louise … Yes, I’m sorry our conversations are less frequent these days but it’s great knowing you are there and popping in on your blog every now and then. We did have a lovely stay in Toronto … And are now in sunny California for a few days before crossing the Pacific.

26. May 8, 2014 7:05 pm

Congratulations, Sue. You’ve created such a wonderful on-line place of ideas, thought, and sanity. May there be many more years!

• May 9, 2014 12:32 am

Thanks Nigel … you know, I’m sure, how much I’ve enjoyed getting to know you, and sharing literary thoughts!