Miscellaneous writers on travel

October 6, 2013

You may have noticed that I didn’t manage a Monday Musings last week. Mr Gums and I have just arrived home from our 7-weeks sojourn overseas – so normal service will resume soon, both here and in my reading of your blogs!

Today, though, I thought I’d share a small, eclectic collection of quotes about travellers and travelling that I’ve come across recently. All of them reflect, in some way, our experiences over the last 7 weeks.

Murray Bail in The voyage (2012)

The other passengers went off in different directions, their alertness to novel sights gave the impression they had more energy than the locals, an optical illusion, most likely.
Lafcadio Hearn in Glimpses of unfamiliar Japan (1894)
I climb and climb and climb, halting perforce betimes, to ease the violent aching of my quadriceps muscles …
Wine, beer and laptop

The modern traveller (Burgos, Spain)

Washington Irving in Tales of the Alhambra (1832)

… but above all we laid in an ample stock of good humor, and a genuine disposition to be pleased, determining to travel in true contrabandista style, taking things as we found them, rough or smooth, and mingling with all classes and conditions in a kind of vagabond companionship.

Jack Kerouac in On the road (1957)

Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

Do these speak to you? And do you have any favourite travel quotes?

A note re advertising

I gather that while I’ve been away WordPress has been adding random advertisements to my blog (which they host for free) for cost recovery reasons. As I don’t monetise this blog in any way, I’ve decided for the moment not to pay to be ad-free. However, if the ads become irritating, please let me know and I will reconsider.
  1. October 7, 2013 4:52 am

I haven’t seen any ads? Perhaps I’m simply blind… I like the last quote best. x

• October 7, 2013 8:50 pm

Ah, that’s interesting Hannah. All I know is that from a couple of weeks ago, when I see my posts they occasionally have a message at the bottom saying “Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here” but it doesn’t seem like I will see the ad. I don’t know whether it’s random per post (ie everyone reading a particular post will get the ad) or random per reader (ie every now and then a post will suddenly have an ad when someone opens it to read). If you see one, let me know – please.

And yes, I’m not surprised you like that one. Given our recent experience I rather like Lafcadio Hearn’s, though it’s feet rather than quads!

2. Meg permalink
    October 7, 2013 7:53 am

‘Not all those who wander are lost ‘- The Fellowship Ring, Tolkien. Having just reread Questions of Travel by DeKrester, I then read the poem with the same title by Elizabeth Bishop. I like the poem better than the book. There are many quotes that speak to me from the poem and one is: And have we room for one more folded sunset, still quite warm? I return to cold Melbourne this Wednesday and leave warm Brisbane behind.

• October 7, 2013 8:52 pm

Ah yes, that’s a great one, Meg. Interesting about the poem. I must try to read it, but I have to say that the book is still resonating with me 2-3 months after reading it. I keep thinking about the issues she raises, the questions she asks.

Enjoy Melbourne! We have returned to typical up and down spring weather.

3. October 7, 2013 9:19 am

I guess it’s corny, but I love “We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring. Will be to arrive where we started. And know the place for the first time” T.S. Eliot.
    It doesn’t explain the compulsive urge of some of us to keep travelling to new places, but it’s certainly a fringe benefit.

• October 7, 2013 8:55 pm

And that’s a great one too, Sue … and great fringe benefit as you say. Interestingly I’m not sure I have the compulsive urge to keep traveling to new places. Whenever I go to a place, I tend to have a compulsive urge to go back and get to know it more – but of course, when I go to a new place, I get that feeling for it too! I love the sense of getting to “know” a place albeit superficially I realise.

4. October 8, 2013 3:25 am

How about Tennyson’s “Ulysses”?

Come, my friends.
    ‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
    Push off, and sitting well in order smite
    the sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
    To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
    Of all the western stars, until I die.

As for the ads, they only appear to people who are not logged in to WordPress when they visit your blog.

• October 8, 2013 1:50 pm

Oh thanks for explaining that Stefanie. And I love that Tennyson quote … I had read it but a long, long time ago. Would never have remembered it.

5. October 9, 2013 2:43 am

ive seen ads on mine but not willing to pay extra to get them changed or removed so just have leave them ,all the best stu

• October 9, 2013 8:09 am

Understand completely Stu! I reckon it’s fair enough they recoup some costs some way and the odd add right at the end is probably pretty painless, I think.