Booker Prize 2009

October 7, 2009

I received a voucher a couple of weeks ago for 25% off a 2009 Booker Prize shortlist book. What to buy? Hard choice as I hadn’t read any of them – I know, I know, how can I call myself a reader but, really, I am not driven to read shortlists per se. Awards are great – love them – but they don’t drive my reading. They simply provide one of the useful imprimaturs that inform my choices. Anyhow, back to the Booker, I settled on Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall.

Prescience perhaps? More like just good luck. Whatever it was, I would now be in the money had I been a betting woman because a few hours ago it was announced the winner and the bookmakers towards the end had her the favourite. Now I will have to read it eh? Don’t hold your breath as there are a few ahead of it, but I will try!

1. October 7, 2009 5:08 pm

Drat! Simon Mawer didn’t win and I have £5 on him! I am sure your choice is excellent but I have yet to read it.

• whisperinggums permalink*
      October 7, 2009 5:20 pm

As they say in The Bill, “I’m sorry for your loss”! I’m hoping one of my internet bookgroups will schedule Wolf Hall soon so I can schedule it into my reading plan! I haven’t read any Mawer or Foulds so really should check them out too. Oh well, another year, another awards season eh?

2. October 20, 2009 8:02 pm

No doubt you had the 25% discount from Borders. I also purchased Wolf Hall, as I’d already purchased and read The Children’s Book and The Little Stranger – all very wonderful novels in my opinion. I was sort of barraking for the A S Byatt but I also loved Wolf Hall, so I think for once the Booker judges have chosen wisely.

• whisperinggums permalink*
      October 20, 2009 8:35 pm

You’re right, that’s the one! the Byatt was the major tempter. I like Coetzee but can get his on a reasonable discount elsewhere, and I’m sure I’d like the Waters but felt less driven. I’ve never read any Mantel and felt I should… I know a few who were barracking for Byatt! I must read it too one day!

3. October 21, 2009 8:28 am

I’d never read Mantel before either, and I am impressed. Wolf Hall is beautifully written. With another of those Border’s discount vouchers I got her Beyond Black novel – very different to Wolf Hall, but a doozy all the same.

• whisperinggums permalink*
      October 21, 2009 8:34 am

Thanks for the encouragement Anne – I am going try to get my f2f group to do it next year. Not sure of my chances. They are good readers but long books do take a bit more pushing! (Why does WordPress make me approve you again when I’d just approved your previous comment. Does it take a few approvals for it to stick??)