Six degrees of separation, FROM Storyland TO …

August 3, 2019

Here it is, the first Saturday of the month again, which means of course, Six Degrees of Separation, that meme which, as you are sure to know, is hosted by Kate. The rules are on her blog – booksaremyfavouriteandbest.

And the first rule, of course, is that Kate sets our starting book. Well, how funny this month’s is for me, because Kate chose to surprise us with a wild card, the wild card being that we all start with the last linked book from our last Six Degrees post. Besides this meaning that I’ve not read two staring books this year, it’s a perfect choice for me because my last book was Catherine McKinnon’s Storyland. It could conceivably link to every novel written. Im spoiled for choice. However, I’m tempted to “write” another story as I did last time … hmm, more than tempted in fact, so I will.

Once upon a time in Storyland,

there was a Fish-hair woman

who decided enough was enough, and that it was time to visit The Dyehouse.

But there, a lurking Snake made her forget all about her hair.

What Beasts, she cried!

And so, with nary a beat, our fish-hair woman, that Fish girl,

Fled back to Ghost River, where she remains to this day.

(Links on titles are to my posts – and you will note that at least this time I didn’t cheat, but did the proper number!)

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I promise I won’t do this again – at least not in the near future. Indeed, I wouldn’t have done it this month if the starting book had been something different, but Storyland was just too delicious to pass up doing this way. Forgive me?

And now, my usual questions: Have you read Storyland? And, regardless, what would you link to?

1. August 3, 2019 10:06 am

Brilliant! I love this story chain. I wouldn’t mind at all if you did it again.
    Mine was far less inventive:
    I really enjoy this meme, both the participation and the reading of everyone else’s.

• August 3, 2019 10:34 am

I’m glad you’ve finally come on board Teresa – it is fun isn’t it.

As for being inventive. I won’t do this again (or, for a long time) because it will very quickly become boring if I keep doing it. But Storyland was just too good to pass up.

2. August 3, 2019 11:05 am

Seeing as you got through that so quickly you may write me an essay on whether Mena Calthorpe properly belongs in Gen 3 – by her age (b. 1905), her Communism, and the subject matter of The Dye House (1961).

• August 3, 2019 11:07 am

Cheeky Bill, cheeky. No essay needed. I’d just say yes, on the basis of all three!

• Neil@kalleroo permalink
        August 3, 2019 4:28 pm

Bill didn’t specify the number of words in the essay. Perhaps a one word essay is acceptable?

3. August 3, 2019 11:39 am

LOL very clever!

4. Meg permalink
    August 3, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Sue, again brilliant, and I do hope you do it again. I think my books are from past links. Life of Pi: followed by Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami; Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikiawa; The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov; The Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum; The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman; Heat and Light by Ellen Van Neerven,

• August 3, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks Meg, but don’t encourage rage me! BTW that’s an I nteresting and varied chain.

5. August 3, 2019 1:01 pm

Brilliant pose and brilliant linking. As others have written, it would be neat if you did this every time. I imagine you put a lot of thought and effort into this.

6. August 3, 2019 6:23 pm

Of course you have to write a story when starting with Storyland! It is a great little story and very creative.

It didn’t sound like you were overly enthusiastic about Ghost River, but I think it sounds interesting. I have to be careful about taking recommendations from you though, look where the last one got me – September will be my 3rd #6degrees which includes A Gentleman in Moscow!! Good thing I loved it so much 😉

• August 3, 2019 9:51 pm

Haha, Stargazer!! Love it.

I liked Ghost River, but you are right, it’s not among my top loves. It is more in the straightforward plot-driven side of things, which is not where I naturally gravitate. However, it has, in fact, stuck with me because of the vividness of his portrayal of Melbourne and the Yarra River.

• August 3, 2019 11:03 pm

Well, I don’t mind plot-driven – actually, I quite like plot-driven – as long as it is supported by a set of interesting characters.

• August 4, 2019 8:57 am

And good writing! No, I don’t mind it either hence I did enjoy reading Ghost River.

7. August 3, 2019 10:42 pm

Very cool way to do this! Thanks!

8. August 4, 2019 1:32 am

Very smart!

9. August 4, 2019 2:33 am

This is absolutely awesome! Why do you promise not to do it again? So much fun, please do it again! Unfortunately, I haven’t read any of these books.
    Here is my chain: https://wordsandpeace.com/2019/08/03/six-degrees-of-separation-from-versailles-to-hacking/
    I also have fun, in another way.

• August 4, 2019 8:58 am

Thanks Words and Peace. Then I might do it again one day, when it feels right. Will come check your post.

10. August 4, 2019 3:00 am

I love your story chain – so clever!!

• August 4, 2019 8:59 am

Thanks Margaret. I’m glad people don’t mind. At least it’s much shorter reading than my usual!

11. Muse & Views Bookclub permalink
    August 4, 2019 5:53 am

Very clever, what a creative way to do a chain!

12. August 4, 2019 2:20 pm

Clever! I haven’t read Storyland, though it seems I should.

• August 4, 2019 4:35 pm

It’s a good story Shelleyrae – Lisa and I feel it should have received more notice than it did.

13. George permalink
    August 5, 2019 12:06 pm

Last time, I left off with Nostromo. So: a book by Ernest Hemingway, who thought highly of Conrad, maybe A Farewell to Arms. One can hardly mention Hemingway without Fitzgerald, so Fitzgerald it is, and Tender is the Night. From Fitzgerald to Edmund Wilson, who knew him at Princeton (I think) and who pulled together The Last Tycoon for publication. Wilson was married for a while to Mary McCarthy, so The Group is next. McCarthy uttered harsh words about Lillian Hellman on TV, and Hellman sued her: take Hellman’s Little Foxes (yes, a play–is that acceptable?). Hellman lived for quite a while with Dashiell Hammett; take Red Harvest as the sixth.

It would be less obvious to jump from Hemingway to Wallace Stevens, whom Hemingway claimed to have knocked down in Key West; but I’m not sure where Stevens leads. And Wilson offers an obvious link to Nabokov; but there one would probably have to jump back to Russian literature.

And no, I haven’t read Storyland

• August 5, 2019 3:35 pm

Great links George … And yes a play is acceptable. I do enjoy your knowledge of physical or real connecyions between the writers.

14. August 6, 2019 4:53 am

Brilliant! So clever! 🙂

15. August 7, 2019 2:09 am

Oh that was delightful! I bet you are really good at book spine/title poetry too!

• August 7, 2019 9:26 am

Haha, Stefanie. I have never done one of those though have been tempted. But, you’ve given me an idea, spine haiku! Hmmm, could I do that for our upcoming Japan trip.