Delicious descriptions: Laurie Steed’s divorced mum

September 13, 2018

Laurie Steed, You belong hereI don’t do many Delicious Descriptions these days, but I did want to share another quote from Laurie Steed’s You belong here which I reviewed recently. The book concerns a marriage break-up and its impact on the family. This quote comes from the point-of-view of the daughter, Emily, who’s around 19 at the time, thinking about her mum:

Her mum hit-and-miss, since, well, the break-up. Better than before, but still not great. Emily thinking maybe she’d turn a corner. But she’s a mum, not a Transperth bus, and so she never made the left, the right, or the shift to second gear. Instead, she’d stalled, middle lane, hazards flashing, with her daughter and two sons in the back; the family coping, surviving as you do, when you’ve broken a window, but you don’t yet have the money to fix it.

I enjoyed so many of Steed’s metaphors throughout the book, not to mention the way he captures the vernacular of the time. Such enjoyable reading despite the subject matter (as I think I’ve said before!)

(And, isn’t it a great cover? All credit to the lovely little Margaret River Press)

1. September 13, 2018 7:30 pm

I haven’t caught up with your review yet so I don’t know the context of this extract but admire the cleverness of it. Sustaining a metaphor so well takes a lot of skill

• September 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Thanks Karen. It’s probably not a book you’ll see over there but it does a nattishr break up really well I think.

2. buriedinprint permalink
    September 14, 2018 1:00 am

Oh, that’s sweet and funny and sad. The window bit is so perfect, ordinary and yet obviously speaking to fragments.

• September 14, 2018 2:02 pm

That’s what I thought Buried… All those three things depending on the perspective!

3. September 14, 2018 12:53 pm

That is a great cover. I also like the quote that you posted. Automobile analogies often work very well and are entertaining.

• September 14, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Brian. I guess they are great because most of us can relate to them or make sense of them.

4. Lucy Adams permalink
    September 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi Sue, got the link to your blog via Anne. She and I just spent 5 dayz together at Tweed Heads. Driving my tiny house on wheels back home to Warrnambool.

Trusting all is well with you.

From me who was once Ruth whittle

• September 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Wow Ruth… You’re a blast from the past. How nice to hear from you. All well with me. And you?

5. September 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Just finished this gut wrenching book. I say that because I can relate to so much, and the author’s short, punchy sentences are relentless. And yet I could hardly bear to put it down. He captures the deep love, pain, heartache and sadness of the three children/adult children as well as giving a glimpse of their parents’ story in the context of the times. Thanks for the recommendation.

• September 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Oh thanks La65! It’s always wonderful when someone reads a book you’ve reviewed and comes back to comment. I’m not sure I’m glad you can relate to it, but I’m glad that your familiarity confirmed my sense that this book has got people down really well.