Stella Prize 2018 Shortlist announced

March 9, 2018

Claire G Coleman, Terra nulliusAs you probably know, the Stella Prize is the award I particularly like to follow, though I don’t always post on the Longlist and the Shortlist as I am this year. The Longlist was announced on 8 February (my post), and the shortlist was announced, yesterday, International Women’s Day, as has, appropriately, become tradition.

Here is the shortlist:

• The enlightenment of the Greengage tree, by Shokoofeh Azar (Wild Dingo Press)
  • Terra nullius, by Claire G Coleman (Hachette)
  • The life to come, by Michelle de Kretser (A&U)
  • An uncertain grace, by Krissy Kneen (Text)
  • The fish girl, by Mirandi Riwoe (Seizure)
  • Tracker, by Alexis Wright (Giramondo)

Interestingly, as has happened in the past, the proportion of non-fiction to fiction in the longlist has not carried through to the shortlist. Five of the twelve-strong longlist were non-fiction works, while just one of the six books in the shortlist is. And unfortunately, it’s not the one I’ve read! Seriously, though, I am glad to see Alexis Wright’s Tracker, which is about the Aboriginal leader, political thinker and entrepreneur Tracker Tilmouth, on the list. However, this pattern suggests that it is difficult to judge fiction against non-fiction and that the Stella Prize’s goal of offering one award irrespective of form or genre is perhaps harder to achieve that it sounds? In a sense I can understand it. If the award is about excellence in Australian writing, and if excellence includes some sense of innovation, then it is likely that such definition of “excellence” is more likely in fiction. (By the way, innovation to me can include experimenting/innovating in style, form, genre, structure, content, so it’s not impossible in non-fiction, just more constrained – perhaps?)

Anyhow, what do I think about the list? Well, firstly, I’m pleased so see that the list accommodates diversity. I’m also pleased to see that my pick, Terra nullius (which I’ll be reading soon) is on the list, and that The fish girl which I bought because of its long-listing is also on the list. I even mailed a copy to my American friend for her birthday this week. And, I’m not surprised to see The life to come and An uncertain grace on the list, given the quality of these writers and the buzz about their books. I’m disappointed, though, that the book I’m reading now, Sofie Laguna’s The choke, is not on the list – not because I believe it should be as I haven’t read enough of the books to make that assessment, but because it’s one I would have read when the winner is announced! Oh well … c’est la vie. Fortunately, I’m enjoying The choke so my reading time is certainly not wasted!

The winner receives $50,000, and each shortlisted author receives $3000, as well as a three-week writing retreat on the Victorian coast. It’s a lovely generous prize. The winner will be announced on 12 April.

Now, I’ll get back to my reading … but if you have any comments on the list, I’d love to hear them.

1. March 9, 2018 10:22 am

I have these two:
    The life to come, by Michelle de Kretser (A&U)
    An uncertain grace, by Krissy Kneen (Text)

2. March 9, 2018 10:23 am

I was a little surprised The Choke didn’t make the shortlist.

• March 9, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes me too. I told my Mum I’d be very surprised if Terra nullius weren’t on the list, and surprised if The choke weren’t. Looking at the last list though I have a sense they were looking for something with more edge perhaps?

3. Meg permalink
    March 9, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi Sue, I too was disappointed that the Choke was not on the list. I thought it was even better than Laguda’s last novel, Eye of the Sheep. Though very happy that Terra Nullius made the list. I haven’t read Tracker, Fish Girl. or The Enlightment of the Greencage Tree which I have put on reserve at my library.

• March 9, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks Meg. I will read Terra nullius for reading group and have The fish girl so will definitely read that then it’s a matter of time. I have De Kretser as well. I’m enjoying The choke a lot I’m must say

4. March 9, 2018 3:05 pm

Thank you for your present of The Fish Girl. I’m looking forward to reading it!

• March 9, 2018 3:15 pm

That was prescient of me wasn’t it! I chose it for you because of the Indonesian setting which I thought might interest you. Glad to see you with that wordpress account up and running!

5. March 9, 2018 4:55 pm

I’ve read Terra Nullius, and have been giving and lending copies to my wider family. Have the Krissy Kneen on order. Would theoretically like to read Tracker next, but 600pp!

• March 10, 2018 10:15 am

Yes me too ie Tracker Bill. When there’s so much to read it’s a real scheduling issue isn’t it?

6. March 10, 2018 7:13 am

I’ve read Terra Nullias, The Fish Girl and An Uncertain Grace. Of these, I enjoyed An Uncertain Grace most – challenging ideas, taut writing – but also got a lot out of the others. I still think Terra Nullias has a good chance of winning, and I liked the way it positioned the reader but thought the final third was not as strong. Interestingly, I thought all three of these books were crafted to build empathy and made the reader complicit in the ill treatment of others. I am interested to read the rest of the shortlist (but not sure I will finish before the announcement).

• March 10, 2018 10:13 am

Oh you’ve done well Agnes.That’s an interesting part re complicity in the ill-treatment of others. I’ll look for that when I read Coleman.