Wanted: Literary Romantic Pairs

February 15, 2018

I really should have posted this yesterday, on Valentine’s Day. What a missed opportunity! And what on earth, you are probably wondering, am I talking about?William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Well, here’s the gen. Longterm friend and regular reader of Whispering Gums, NeilAtKallaroo, needs help, and he thinks that this blog’s intelligent, engaged readers are the people to ask. The story is that his daughter is currently planning the reception for her wedding this September. She wants each table to be labelled with a romantic pair – like Romeo and Juliet, Darcy and Lizzie, Anthony and Cleopatra, and even the Owl and the Pussycat.

But, what should they call the bridal party’s table?  Currently it is just called “Bridal Party” which, as Neil rightly says, “isn’t very literary at all”! However, before you start running to your bookshelves, there’s an added request. If possible, they’d like the novel the pair name comes from “to include a sumptuous description of their wedding reception!” Please, no Miss Havishams! Neil and family welcome creativity – so think as laterally as you like – but Miss Havisham’s wedding feast is probably a step too far …

Finally, to offer a little encouragement, if someone here comes up with the pair that is eventually chosen, I will send an Aussie novel of my choice to the first person (no matter where you live) who suggested that pair.

So now, get those literary brains going …

1. February 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I am ransacking the brain but I can’t think of anything!

• February 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Well, you’ve got time – maybe something will pop into your head over the next few days!

2. February 15, 2018 10:23 pm

I can think of plenty of romantic pairings but that added request for a banquet description has me defeated at the moment….The closest I can get is Taming of the Shrew’s Petruchio/Kate where Act 5 scene 2 takes place at a celebratory banquet. However there is no description of what they are eating. Now I come to think of it can I even consider this pair to be romantic, they spend all their time squabbling so maybe not the best of role models for a newly hitched pair in real life

• February 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Haha, Karen – at least it’s a pair and there’s a banquet! That’s a start. It can only be uphill from here.

• February 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Well as a model for marriage I suppose indeed there is only one way to go and that’s up….Anything has to be better than that pairing

3. February 16, 2018 12:36 am

Sam Gamgee and Rosie Cotton, at the end of The Return of the King, have a big wedding with a reception and dance. And how about Westley and Buttercup, from The Princess Bride?

• February 16, 2018 12:42 am

Ok Jeanne, I have to admit I’ve never seen or read The princess bride! That’s a terrible admission isn’t it? I think it’s because as soon as I hear the word princess I run the other way! I haven’t read The return of the king either. I’m guessing Neil and family will know these though, so thanks very much for joining in.

• February 17, 2018 4:41 pm

Please don’t let the words ‘princess’ or ‘bride’ put you off seeing the movie, Sue. It’s a rare gem that pleases viewers, whatever their age, with some truly memorable characters and lines.

• February 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks Angela. Yes, that’s what my daughter tells me. I have realised that that little prejudice of mine should not stop me seeing it. I just need now to find an opportunity.

4. February 16, 2018 1:21 am

It’s a big disadvantage to specialise in the Independent Woman, none of my heroines gets married. Miles Franklin’s one big wedding was of Rachel Mazere to Simon Labosseer (based on MF’s own maternal grandparents) which takes up the first third of Up The Country, her first Brent of Bin Bin novel. Emily Mazere and Bert Poole is much more romantic but I’m afraid it ends in tragedy.

• February 16, 2018 8:16 am

Haha, Thanks Bill. I think your pairs might be too literary! Noone will know them.

5. Glen Hunting permalink
    February 16, 2018 1:29 am

My first impression is that Claudio and Hero, and Beatrice and Benedick, would both be quite suitable except that the wedding reception is not explicitly described, and yet is frequently interpreted as being very jolly. Charles’ and Emma’s wedding is explicitly baroque, but this is surely a very poor choice of couple to use…!!!

Quite a challenge, no? 🙂

• February 16, 2018 8:19 am

It’s harder than you think, isn’t it Glen. Thanks for your great suggestions. Yes, I think the Bridal Party might want to avoid Charles and Emma.

6. February 16, 2018 3:39 am

My guess is the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones/Storm of Swords would be a bad idea since everyone at the party is murdered. 🙂

7. Meg permalink
    February 16, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Sue, I think the romantic pair should be from an Australian novel: Tim Winton’s, Cloudstreet. The bridal table called either ‘Cloudstreet’ or ‘The Pickles and The Lambs’. Not a true romantic novel, but it is about two families coming together. It has love, romance, tragedy and laughter, as is marriage!

• February 16, 2018 8:24 am

Oh, excellent choice Meg. I love The Pickles and the Lambs. And, this marriage is happening in WA too! How appropriate would that be!

• February 16, 2018 8:30 am

I muddled about in the corners of my brain but came out with only dust and confusion. I do love Meg’s idea. I think it would be hard to beat ‘The Pickles and the Lambs’.

• Glen Hunting permalink
        February 16, 2018 12:05 pm

I wondered if that was a coincidence, in Neil’s e-address. Kallaroo is not far from where I currently live!

• February 16, 2018 2:50 pm

No, as you’ve realised Glen, Neil lives in Perth so he probably lives near you. You might even shop at the same supermarket!!

• February 16, 2018 9:31 am

Another Aussie pair is, of course, The Bloke and Doreen! Now, that’s a romance.

8. Neil@kallaroo permalink
    February 16, 2018 9:42 am

Hi folks, some great suggestions. But keep them rolling. I am not filtering out any, will present all to my daughter. She may, of course, show no interest in any!

• February 16, 2018 2:51 pm

That would be good, Neil! Then I wouldn’t have to make good on my prize offer! Seriously though, even if she doesn’t go with any we come up with, we’d love to know her reactions once the discussion has finished.

9. February 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Goodness, it’s hard to think of any, let alone an Australian example that people might actually know about. In desperation, my mind turns to Australian children’s lit but the best I can suggest is serving a certain kind of (magic) pudding for dessert ;-).

10. Meg permalink
    February 17, 2018 11:58 am

Hi Sue, Aussie kids lit – The Gumnuts, Snugglepot and Cuddlepie -Whispering Gums the bridal table! Though you may have a copyright over “whispering Gums”.

• February 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Well done Meg. That’s definitely my favourite and the bridesmaid can be little Ragged Blossom. Wonder how the groom will feel about being Snugglepot!

• Meg permalink
        February 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Good one Bill, I like ‘Ragged Blossom’ for the bridesmaids. Little Obelia the flower girl. Mrs Kookaburra the matron of honour. Mr Lizard the best man. The bridge and groom wedding dance – The dance of the brolgas.

• February 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Now you’re both talking. This might require a complete rethink of wedding outfits as well methinks!

• February 17, 2018 5:26 pm

I can imagine a bridesmaid as Ragged Blossom. What self respecting Aussie girl would not like that!!

• Glen Hunting permalink
          February 17, 2018 8:32 pm

If we were all firm believers in the possibilities of restorative good, we might even adopt the (later) John Dory as MC, and a couple of the Banksia Men as security…???

• February 17, 2018 8:41 pm

I think Meg has really started something now. the Banksia Men as security – the bouncers! Love it too. I’m not sure whether we’ve come up with an answer that will suit Neil’s daughter but I bet they’ll enjoy all these ideas.

• February 17, 2018 5:25 pm

Oh that’s lovely Meg – Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. Love it. (And, I’d probably waive copyright for friends on Whispering Gums!)

11. February 17, 2018 4:45 pm

I love the ideas here, Sue. I can’t think of a new one, though in their position, I might’ve called the bridal table the ‘pea-green boat’ and allocated seats to the owl, pussycat, pig with the ring at the end of his nose, and the turkey who lives on the hill 🙂

• February 17, 2018 5:33 pm

That’s a great idea, Angela, The Pea-Green Boat for the bridal table, with mince and slices of quince for the feast, topped off with honey!

12. February 18, 2018 2:31 am

This is a great idea for a wedding. I have been trying to come up with an original idea. If I come up with a good one I will come back and share it. I love the pairs that folks are coming up with in the comments.

• February 18, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks Brian… I’m hoping others are doing the same, ie keeping it in mind and come back if something pops into their heads!

13. cateisgr8 permalink
    February 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Charles and Emma Bovary have a wedding feast, but not a propitious start. I love Newland Archer from The Age of Innocence, and his wedding to May Welland was well done, and the wedding lasted a lifetime (but he was in love with Ellen). I will have to think some more.

• February 18, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks Cate … yes, perhaps Charles and Emma aren’t the best examples, but you can’t not mention them can you. And I do love Wharton, though do you want a groom in love with someone else!!?

14. February 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Anyone mentionBeatrice & Benedick? Double wedding, I think

• February 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Phil. Thanks so much for joining in. Yes, Glen above mentioned them but, you know, the move votes the better. Our young couple my like to go with the strength!

15. February 19, 2018 7:41 am

What a fun idea.

There must be a grand wedding banquet in Balzac or Zola but I’m not sure the ones who get married in their books are characters the bride and groom would want to be associated with.

There’s also a description of Emma’s and Charles’s wedding reception in Flaubert but would like to be compared to Mr & Mrs Bovary?

So this means we need a literary couple with a HEA? Emma & Mr Knightley, I suppose. But there’s no scene of the wedding reception.

Otherwise there’s Elizabeth and Mr Yelverton in The Three Miss Kings. Chapter XLIV : The wedding day. There’s a short description of their wedding lunch. At least it’s a positive reference for a young couple. And it’s in Australia.

PS : A recent French film, Le sens de la fête, is about a wedding planner. In this particular wedding, all the tables are named after a book by Romain Gary.

• February 19, 2018 7:54 am

Thanks Emma. Love that you’ve given this a go. So far a few have named Emma and Charles but with the same qualification! Emma and Mr K are lovely.

I love that you’ve mentioned The three Miss Kings.

16. February 19, 2018 7:54 am

PS: there’s also Gabriel & Bathsheba (Far From the Madding Crowd) but the wedding reception is only tea in Bathsheba’s parlour along with trumpets outside.

17. February 19, 2018 8:08 am

PPS: Isn’t there a scene with a wedding in Gone With the Wind? In Little Women with Meg & John?

• February 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Oh Gone with the wind. Rhett and Scarlett. Great pair. And Meg and John. I’m afraid I don’t remember the feast parts in these books.

18. buriedinprint permalink
    February 26, 2018 8:10 am

I have nothing to offer, but I wholeheartedly enjoyed reading the discussion surrounding the matter! 🙂

19. Neil Bloomfie permalink
    March 3, 2018 1:56 am

I pointed the bridal couple at this blog. They enjoyed reading it. Have come up with the theme for the top table, not in the suggestions. But they may exchange some of their existing table themes for suggestions. I’ll keep you posted.