Alan Bennett, The uncommon reader

December 16, 2010

Light with bite is how I would describe Alan Bennett‘s delightful novella The uncommon reader. But, before I explain that further, a quick plot summary for those few who haven’t come across it. It explores what happens when Queen Elizabeth II stumbles across a mobile library on the palace grounds and becomes obsessed with books and reading. Bennett cheekily suggests what the impact might be on her family, staff and the politicians around her when reading becomes not only something she wants to do all the time (instead of her work) but also results in her starting to think and question.

One of the delightful things about the novel is that it can be read on several levels from the straight (a sweet story about the current English Queen discovering the thrill of reading late in her life) through the contemplative (a meditation on readers, reading and the value of literature) to the satirical (an expose of life in the palace, and more broadly of politics and those involved in the political process).

Take for example, reading. The Queen (in the book) says that: “Books are not about passing the time. They’re about other lives. Other worlds.” Fair enough, we all agree with that I’d say. But then there’s this, again from our newly enlightened reading Queen: “Books generally just confirm you in what you have, perhaps unwittingly, decided to do already. You go to a book to have your convictions corroborated. A book as it were closes the book.” Hmmm…Bennett’s Queen is one clever (and scary) lady!

Jokes at the expense of palace officials, politics and politicians abound. Nothing really new here but they are proffered with a light touch. The Queen, now talking about writing her own book, says “To enquire into the evidence for something on which you have already decided is the unacknowledged premise of every public enquiry, surely?” on which the Prime Minister thinks to himself “If this was to be the tone of what the Queen was planning to write there was no telling what she was going to say. ‘I think you would do better just to tell your story, ma’am'”.

This is no sentimental tale, but neither is it completely cynical (though some could see it that way). Sly is perhaps the best word to describe its ability to engage us with the humanity of the characters while skewering them and their (our) world at the same time. However, I won’t go on, except to say that the ironies, word play and allusions evident in the title give a clue to what is inside – and yet it can be read and enjoyed whether or not you pick up all, some or none of them. I’m sure I missed my share. But that’s okay, as I would be more than happy to read it again.

Alan Bennett
The uncommon reader
London: Faber and Faber, 2007
124pp
ISBN: 9781846680496

Note: I originally posted this on my reading group’s site but, since one of my online groups will be discussing this in the next quarter, I decided to post it over here too as a record of my current reading and discussions.

1. December 16, 2010 9:07 pm

I loved this book! Definitely cunning:)

2. Lithe lianas permalink
    December 16, 2010 10:19 pm

When I finished the last page I immediately turned to the first page and read it again. I loved the gentle, but somehow still respectful, fun he pokes at the Queen and the stings in the tail of some of the barbs fired at other characters. A book to be lent – as I have to many friends – but always kept in one’s own library.

• December 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Totally agree – but unfortunately I have to rely on your library if I want to read it again (and I might just be doing that fairly soon!)

3. December 17, 2010 2:40 am

Someone pointed me to this book a few years ago. I doubt I would have found it on my own. Very, very funny.

4. December 17, 2010 4:05 am

I loved this book. It was so charming and tongue in cheek and just an all around pleasure.

5. December 17, 2010 8:00 am

Guy and Stefanie: I guess it’s not surprising that readers would like a book like this is it – particularly when it is done with cheek and humour rather than schmaltz.

6. December 18, 2010 4:11 pm

I must read this at some point. I loved his Lady and The Van when I read it earlier in the year.

• December 18, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes, you must! What more can I say? And it is a novella so can be read very quickly.

7. December 18, 2010 10:48 pm

I read this earlier in the year and loved it too. I lent it to a friend also, and she loved it too. It was the first Bennett that I’d read, and it definitely made me keen to read more of his- I’ve seen him talk about The Lady in The Van, and am keen.

• December 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Oh, do read The lady in the van. It’s non-fiction while this is fiction but it’s a great read. The BBC dramatisation of it is wonderful too.