Stitching up the NGA

July 11, 2009
tags:

What a thrill! Today, as the result of blogger Ms Textual’s posts about her knitting for the National Gallery of Australia’s Knitta Project, I decided to pop over and check it out. I only planned to go for ten minutes or so, and who should I spy but Ms Textual herself. After a moment of shyness I decided to make myself known and we had a delightful chat while she waited for her transport to arrive. She is as friendly as she comes across on her blog and I am chuffed to have met in the flesh yet another cyber connection. Woo hoo!

Anyhow, here are some photos…I’m sure she’ll post some more interesting ones soon.

Wrapped planters at the lower entrance to the NGA

Wrapped planters at the lower entrance to the NGA

Wrapped poles outside the main entrance, taken from below

Wrapped poles outside the main entrance, taken from below

Ms Textual's gorgeous textured ochre and sky blue piece wrapped around a pole

Ms Textual's gorgeous textured ochre and sky blue piece wrapped around a pole

Another section of wrapped pole

Another section of wrapped pole

You get the picture? Good on the NGA for encouraging a sense of fun – and good on the knitters for rising to the challenge. I do love a touch of irreverence with my art every now and then – and this was just the right touch for a greyer than usual Canberra winter’s day. (Oh, and thanks to Lisa at ANZLitLovers for introducing me to Ms Textual through her blogroll.)

1. July 11, 2009 6:12 pm

I love it!
    Knitting definitely has a place in serious art places – indeed it was some years ago when the NGV held an exhibition of garments based on The Art of Knitting by Jerry Rogers (see
    http://www.librarything.com/work/27362/47620968) that I fell in love with knitting as an art form (and knitted up the Fred Williams Hardy River design.) By coincidence I went on Thursday to the McClelland Gallery in Langwarrin to see The ANimal as Hero exhibition, which included a Jenny Kee knit featuring a koala. I’ve knitted one of hers too, but mine has parrots.

2. whisperinggums permalink*
    July 11, 2009 7:07 pm

Oh silly me…I just lost my response. I love it when “lowly” crafts are “elevated” this way. I guess my favourite craft is patchwork – love the ordinary usable pieces and the gorgeous art pieces. I love knitting too – those wonderful textures and colours – but only to look at. My skin rebels when wool gets anywhere near it.

This brings me to Jenny Kee. Whenever I hear of her I immediately think of the Flamingo Park fashion boutique she established in Sydney with Linda Jackson. I still have a dress – from the Linda Jackson side as she worked more in cotton – that I haven’t worn for a couple of decades but I can’t bear to part with. There was a lovely documentary film made about them around 1980.

3. July 12, 2009 5:35 pm

What a wonderful surprise to have you ask “R u ‘Ms Textual’, and then identify yourself as a fellow blogospheric friend! I wished we had had more time to chat, but it’s back to the ether!
    Check out the blog of grrl+dog at http://dneese.blogspot.com/2009/07/national-gallery-knitta-please-event.html.
    Your pics are great!
    Many thanks for your encouragement!!!!!
    Have my Baby DELL with me for the ‘Wild Knitting’ week so I’ll keep posting!!!

4. whisperinggums permalink*
    July 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Actually, I think I was a bit cheekier than that. As I recollect I marched up to you and said “I know you, you’re Ms Textual!”. You were very polite to reply to such forwardness! Anyhow, I’m glad you didn’t mind – and look forward to seeing your photos when you get to putting them up. grrl+dog’s photos are wonderful. Hope the birthday celebration went well …. and see you again one day I hope.

5. grrl+dog permalink
    July 12, 2009 6:22 pm

hey!
    I missed you.. we only just installed the planter boxes that day, so… glad you cam eot see…quite impressive wasn’t it?

6. whisperinggums permalink*
    July 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Very impressive – loved seeing all that knitting around planters containing those wonderful Aussie plants. I wondered how you did it – I see it was by using velcro! You must have worked very hard. Well done.