Australian Women Writers 2014 Challenge completed

April 24, 2014

awwchallenge2014Regular readers here know by now that I only do one challenge, and that’s the Australian Women Writer’s Challenge. As in previous years, I signed up for the top level: Franklin-fantastic. This required me to read 10 books and review at least 6. I have now exceeded this. I will continue to add to the challenge, as I’ve done in previous years. However, one of the requirements of completing the challenge is to write a completed challenge post. Here is that post.

I have, so far, contributed 14 reviews to the challenge.

Here’s my list in alphabetical order, with the links on the titles being to my reviews:

Only two of these – Baynton and Anderson – are for non-recent works. I would like in the second half of the year to read more backlist, more classics. Let’s see what happens when I write my end-of-year post for the challenge.

1. Jim KABLE permalink
    April 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Brava! I’ve read just two from your listing – Hannah Kent and Kathy Marks (the latter thanks to you)!

• April 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks Jim … And I remember your reading the Marks!

My posting is slow at present as I’m in Canada for a short time.

2. April 24, 2014 11:32 pm

The year isn’t even halfway over and you have already finished the challenge? Good work!

• April 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks Stefanie … It’s a bit of a cheat for me really. How can reading 10 books by Aussie women be a challenge, for me?!

3. April 25, 2014 7:54 am

Dunno how anyone sticks with challenges: it’d drive me bonkers. I’m only glad you hae a lot more spine, Sue ! 🙂

• April 25, 2014 2:12 pm

LOL MR … IT’s the only challenge I do because it’s not a challenge! And because I’m one of the volunteer coordinators!

• April 25, 2014 2:14 pm

What a yell! – know why ?
        Because I am at this very moment writing up a post regarding a challenge I am setting up, just for me !!! 🙂

• April 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Oh good for you MR … Btw, please excuse me from commenting on your blog much at present. I’m barely keeping up with my own while I’m travelling.

• April 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Excuse you ? – there is nothing to excuse, Sue ! I’m just rapt when you have time … 🙂

• April 25, 2014 2:39 pm

TA, MR, now, must to bed as it’s well after midnight here.

• April 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Sleep well, m’dear !

4. April 25, 2014 11:16 am

This is a fabulous idea! It inspires me to take time away from my PhD in Literature at the ANU to read books for pleasure again. I’m a new reader of your blog, but really enjoying it so far – thank you!

• April 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Jessica .. What a nice thing to say, though a PhD in literature reading my blog makes me nervous!

What is your focus.

• April 25, 2014 2:50 pm

I wouldn’t worry – PhD candidates are the same as everyone else, but with less money, less guilt-free spare time, and a tendency to over-analyse!

Neo-Victorian fiction is my topic (that is, historical fiction set in the 19th century), since it is strikingly popular at the moment, but still under-studied (unlike Shakespeare). It’s a whole cultural phenomenon, and that is what is so interesting about it.

• April 25, 2014 9:48 pm

Oh, that sounds very interesting Jessica. I’m quite intrigued by the whole historical fiction thing. Are you looking at that set in England only, or also in the colonies? I’m thinking The luminaries of course. I suppose you are also doing things like The crimson petal and the white? What about something like Jack Maggs? Sorry, would just love to know. Are you looking at the literary end or the genre end, or are those divisions not relevant to you? Don’t answer any of this if you don’t wish to!!nor don’t have time to!

• April 27, 2014 10:28 am

The colonies – I find them much more interesting, particularly since I’m attempting to take an ecocritical approach to their interpretation, and what historical fiction says about the nineteenth century English landscape is much less compelling than what it says about the colonial landscape!

I was very excited to see that The Luminaries had won the Booker last year, as it fits into my thesis perfectly. At least, I certainly hope that it will; I admit that I’m yet to read it!

I’ve looked at Jack Maggs in my Honours thesis (http://theneovictorian.wordpress.com/2014/02/27/jack-maggs-peter-carey/), so I probably won’t bother writing much about it again. And a good question about the ‘literariness’ of the books that I’ll be discussing – at this stage, the books have been on the “Booker” end of the scale. That is, neither trashy fiction, nor Nobel Prize fiction, but something in between, although I suspect that my chapter on speculative neo-Victorianism could bring in some steampunk.

• April 27, 2014 11:33 pm

Fascinating thesis Jessica. Will check out your linked post later as connections here are tricky. Steampunk! We are in Montreal and tonight are going to the new Cirque du Soleil show Kurios which is apparently steampunk inspired.

• April 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Sounds magical! I feel like academia that concerns neo-Victorianism but snubs steampunk is missing out on examining a lot of the most interesting part of the (re)visiting of the nineteenth century. On the other hand, I’ve never studied it before, so it should be interesting to see how it turns out!

• April 28, 2014 1:57 pm

It will be Jessica … just back from Cirque du Soleil. I’m not sure that it adds much to the “steampunk” discussion per se as it seemed primarily to provide a vehicle for fun costumes and settings for regular routines but it was visually beautiful.

5. April 25, 2014 12:15 pm

This is a wonderful selection of reading. Well done. Pam

• April 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks Pam … BTW, I’m travelling at present so am not getting around my blog friends much at present. Please excuse my absence from commenting on yours?

6. April 25, 2014 7:12 pm

Well done you! The only one of those I’ve read is Burial Rites, but the Evie Wyld sounds really intriguing and is all over my social media feeds at the moment!

7. May 15, 2014 11:40 pm

You’re amazing! I’ve managed to review five and I’m patting myself on the back because it’s only May!

• May 16, 2014 12:14 am

Ah, but you write too … and still have children at home! So, I reckon you can keep patting yourself on the back!

Trackbacks

1. Who has completed the AWW 2014 challenge? | Australian Women Writers Challenge