Michelle de Kretser on the benefits – hmm – of travel

August 4, 2013

I could write posts and posts sharing gems from Michelle de Kretser’s Questions of travel, and who knows, maybe I will. Right now, though, I’ll just share one of the many commenting on how travel has infiltrated the way we live:

Laura Fraser belonged to an age and a place where an amazing thing was taken for granted: for the first time in history, ordinary people could raid the past and the planet to decorate their homes. Her eye was accustomed to ecumenical style, to African masks hanging beside industrial signage, to a witty postmodern aesthetic that refused to distinguish between designer and detritus, kitsch and cool.

Travel souvenirs

Tiwi meets Hopi meets Japan meets Navajo meets Quebec meets … hmm, guilty as charged

1. August 4, 2013 11:23 pm

I am awfully guilty of this. Wish I could provide a shot – in fact there are some on my blog (peltandotherstories.blogspot.it/2013/03/i-had-gallery-in-africa.html) It’s mostly African treasures, but the old Venetian piece, stuff from the Brussels years, funky things from Ikea and a fab painting from a Melbourne artist, are shuffled in between. Yes we are very privileged to be moving around the globe like this. I’d love to read de Kretser’s book!

• August 4, 2013 11:25 pm

Oh good Catherine. We have lots more too … this low-boy top is the hodge-podge place and it needs dusting! We are privileged as you say.

2. August 5, 2013 8:10 am

Oh that’s home! That’s home! Every item is so familiar xo

• August 5, 2013 8:23 am

It sure is … our place with remnants and reminders of so many places we’ve visited

3. Carol Booth permalink
    August 5, 2013 6:04 pm

I call collections like that – Reminder collections

• August 5, 2013 9:49 pm

Oh Carol, I like that … thanks. I’ll stop feeling guilty. That is exactly the role they play.

4. August 6, 2013 2:04 am

Eclectic taste and style and meaningful pieces of art with good memories attached. The best way to decorate I think 🙂

• August 6, 2013 8:19 am

Oh, Stefanie, we are true children of our times aren’t we? But I agree, eclecticism is the only way I can go.

5. Brian Joseph permalink
    August 6, 2013 10:22 pm

I love that photo. In a vey strange way it looks as if the items belong together,

• August 6, 2013 10:51 pm

Oh thankyou, Brian. I’m never sure whether it does or not … but the memories, the memories make it worthwhile (except when I think of de Kretser!)