Queensland Literary (Fiction) Awards, 2012: Woo-hoo

September 5, 2012

Readers of this blog might remember that earlier this year the new premier of Queensland axed his state’s Premier’s Literary Awards … to a great outcry from literary aficionados around the country. However, with a wonderful can-do attitude and the support of private sponsors, a group of volunteers revived the awards, rebadged as the Queensland Literary Awards, just over 4 months ago. The prize purse was much reduced but the important thing is that the awards went ahead … And the winners were announced this week.

The awards group kept the full raft of awards that had been part of the original awards, a wide range that had made these awards particularly significant, but they are too numerous for me to list here. I will though report on the main ones of interest to me:

• Fiction Award: Frank Moorehouse’s Cold light, the third in his trilogy, of which I’ve read the first, Grand days. This award rather breaks the stranglehold that women writers, Anna Funder and Gillian Mears, have had on this year’s awards to date.
  • David Unaipon Award for Unpublished Indigenous Writer: Siv Parker’s Story. This is a significant award for giving opportunities to and showcasing indigenous Australian writers. I’ve read some winners and have a couple more on my TBR.
  • Steele Rudd Award for Short Stories: Janette Turner Hospitals’s Forecast: Turbulence, which has been patiently waiting for me on my Kindle for a few months now. I’m a Hospital fan.
  • The Courier-Mail People’s Choice Book of the Year: Simon Cleary’s Closer to stone

A full list of the awards can be viewed here. Reviews of several of the winners listed above can be found at ANZLitLovers.

About these ads
  1. September 5, 2012 2:58 am

How wonderful the awards were saved by private sponsors! May the continue and grow stronger than ever.

• September 5, 2012 8:53 am

We hope, Stefanie. I think they’re hoping someone bigger will step in … But hopefully they’ve proved a point that these awards are valued.

2. September 5, 2012 5:53 am

It’s sad that literature and the arts are often the first in line when a politician is looking for something to axe – the same thing’s been happening in England recently, with funding reduced and libraries closing. Great to hear a happy ending in this case, and hope that others use it as inspiration!

• September 5, 2012 8:57 am

It sure is a worry Andrew … I’ve read a bit about the library issue in England. A big worry. We had a library close in my city. Some citizens got together and kept a little one going and either as a result, or it was planned anyhow, a mall shop front library was opened by the govt. in the vicinity. It’s an area of aging population so was much needed.

3. September 6, 2012 11:14 pm

Great news! It does give one hope, doesn’t it? When people rally together like this. I haven’t read Moorhouse for years and was definitely a Hospital fan in the past. Sounds like I have some catching up to do. I’m spending way too much time on book promotion and not reading enough!

• September 6, 2012 11:18 pm

It does Catherine … And they did it so quickly and efficiently.

Now is the time for you and your writing though … You can catch up on Hospital later. (I like her too and have read most, though to all, of her oeuvre).

And, hmmm, why did WordPress suddenly decide to moderate you?!

• September 9, 2012 11:50 pm

I think I wrote these comments from while on my short story blog – so much signing in and out and password remembing to do. I’m useless!

• September 10, 2012 12:14 am

Ah, that makes sense. It gets too much managing multiple blogs doesn’t it …

4. September 18, 2012 11:19 pm

I think it’s tremendous that people power kept these going. One of the uses of social type media, which ties in with your post yesterday. This was largely funded by a pozible campaign I believe- I wish I had known about it in time, I would have donated too.

• September 19, 2012 12:04 am

Oh was it … I donated to the Canberra centenary anthology via Pozible. It was my first experience of it and I thought it was intriguing.